In 1910, a priest would come from Colorado Springs and say Mass once a month in Burlington. At that time, Mass was held in homes, using chairs, wooden benches and occasionally bales of hay for seating. In 1916, the parish was established and a small wood frame church was built under the guidance of Father Alphonse C. Keiffer, pastor at St. Charles Borromeo Church in Stratton. As the parish steadily grew, the bishop assigned Father Joseph Lane as the first resident pastor in September 1949. In 1969, a building fund was established for the purchase of property and new, larger church. In 1974, Archbishop James V. Casey granted permission to proceed with the building. In August 1975, the parish gathered for the groundbreaking ceremony. Archbishop Casey celebrated the dedication Mass for the new church on July 3, 1976. The mortgage on the church was retired in December 1986. During this time the youth of the parish held their classes at the local Knights of Columbus hall and at a nearby Lutheran church. The youth programs quickly outgrew their facilities. Father Hank Grodecki created a fundraising drive for parish hall. Raising half of the funds needed and pledges for the rest, groundbreaking for the center took place in the spring of 1996. The mortgage for the parish center was retired in the fall of 2006.
On Jan. 9, 2004, vandals desecrated and set the church on fire. Father Frank Quezada was pastor at the time and called for parishes in the diocese, especially those in the Plains and churches around the country, to come together to help and lend financial support to the restoration of the church building. The church was rebuilt by the parishioners. The design, most of the wood furnishings, the great cross, door handles, the statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe in bronze, the bell tower and louvers have all come from the hands of parishioners. The statue of St. Catherine of Siena, the only one to have survived the fire unscathed, along with the rebuilt Stations of the Cross and the original processional cross from the first church have been placed in the new church and are a constant reminder of the heritage and the struggles of the people of the eastern Plains of Colorado. Bishop Michael J. Sheridan presided over the dedication Mass of the refurbished church on Oct. 1, 2005.